KIDS TIME ONLINE
March 7, 2021
Story: Separate is Never Equal
Bible Character: Deborah
March is Women’s History Month! So this month for our Kids Time online – we’ll hear stories of women from history who have accomplished great things or used their God-given gifts for a good purpose. AND we’ll read about women from the Bible and how God used them for good in the world.
LISTEN/WATCH THE READ-A- LOUD – Separate is Never Equal: Sylvia Mendez and Her Family’s Fight for Desegregation By Duncan Tonatiu
- Why was Sylvia’s family so upset about the school that the Mendez children were supposed to attend?
- Why did people think there needed to be different schools for different races?
- For what did the Mendez family fight?
- What qualities did you notice in Sylvia?
Woman from the Bible Connection: Deborah
You can read about Deborah in the Old Testament book of Judges – chapters 4-5 –(it’s a war story – so there is violence and death in the story. You might want to just summarize the story for your kids)
Deborah was known as a “Judge” for God’s people the Israelites. This was a time when there were no kings or queens – so the “judges” helped make decisions and lead God’s people. Deborah is only woman judged named in the Bible. She was a strong and wise and courageous warrior and lead her people to victory, their release from captivity and into years of peace.
- What makes someone a good leader?
- What qualities do you have that make you a good leader?
Deborah said that God will deliver the Israelite’s victory into the “hands of a woman.” [Judges 4:9]
- What does that tell you about God’s view of women?
Deborah was an honest-to-goodness warrior – with weapons and wars. But that’s not the only kind of battles women of the bible fought. Many were fighting for change.
- In what ways have you had to be a warrior?
- In what ways – or for what things – would you like to be a warrior?
Both Deborah and Sylvia were willing to fight a battle for change.
- What’s a change you would like to see in this world? How can you help bring about that change?
Story in Action
- As a family – talk about something that’s just not right in the world and make a decision to do something about it!
- Write a letter to a community leader.
- Make a donation to an organization.
- Learn more about an issue.
Prayer Practice: Pray the first part of the Prayer of St. Francis at the end of your kids time.
Try to put it to memory.
Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy. Amen